Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Mom's cancer

It's due for publication next month, but I can't wait to read "Mom's Cancer".

I know - doesn't sound like the uplifting read, does it?

When his Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer, Brian Fies wrote and drew about his family's experience, first as a web comic, awarded an Eisner award in 2005. The collection of his writings and drawings have been collected as a book.

While I've only seen snippets of his work, I'm anxious to see Brian's book in part to compare stories. The story of my Mom's cancer is similar to Brian's Mom in some ways (metastatic lung cancer, a ex-smoker Mom in denial) and different in others (my Mom lived 8 years past her initial diagnosis, while Brian's died this Fall).

But what I'm guessing that I'll find true from both situations is the power and the healing that is possible in sharing your story.
---
What's your story? How is sharing it a part of your journey?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home