Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I am Grateful

Thanksgiving has me thinking about being grateful. Some days I’m an “ungrateful wretch” – a phrase I read somewhere when I was about 14. I complain about my aches and pains, the room temperature, the government, the economy, other crabby people, you name it. Usually I am not grateful for losses in my life.

A friend of mine is dying and I’m not grateful for her suffering. I am grateful for her friends who have been showing up and bringing her love and companionship. And I’m grateful for being blessed by her friendship and wisdom.

I am also grateful for the wisdom of my new friend Carol and her lovely message on giving thanks.

May your day be blessed with love, friends and gratitude.

2 Comments:

At 11/24/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

carol here again...2 weeks past the first anniversary of my brother's death. i really can't explain how i feel like i do. something about passing that anniversary, plus the work i have been doing...i feel sort of still in a "grace bubble" as my sister in law calls it. ' still sad, but not so desperately sad.

i have told a couple people that this past year has been the worst, but yet in spiritual ways, the best year of my life. I am grateful for friends who have been "God with skin." I am so grateful for them. i have grown in so many ways. I see it as God not wasting anything, even the suffering.

your comment to me on "letting go" was really important for me. i have written up in my journal (a new one!) what I think "letting go" is. i'll send it to you in the next days...have to type it up. thankfully, i had typed up a lot of my journal and sent it to friends over the months (the journal i lost.)

 
At 11/26/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger Dee Bailey said...

Hi Carol,

So glad to hear from you again! Your gratitude is a one more sign that you are moving through your grief. The spiritual part of this journey is so amazing.

Your expression, "grace bubble" is lovely. So many of the things you have shared with us are hopeful crossings.

Thanks,
Dee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home